08 January 2012

On My Plate - Pork Tostadas

Last night for dinner, I was with a few friends and we decided to make tacos for dinner.  To accomodate me, they used ground turkey instead of ground beef and I bought a few low calorie accompaniments to finish out my meal.  I came home with extra thin corn tortillas, fat free cheese, fat free sour cream and refried beans.  Today for lunch, I decided to see what I could throw together.

Earlier in the week, I bought a pack of thinly sliced boneless pork chops and had a few left over, so I thought pork tacos.  Well after burning two sets of "taco shells", lunch morphed into tostadas cause I somehow managed to not burn the tortillas when I baked them flat. 

Except for the fact that the meat was a little salty cause I overseasoned (less fajita seasoning next time), they were really good so I decided to share.

4 oz boneless center cut pork chops, cut into about a 1/2" dice        
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fajita seasoning
1 cup water
2 Mission Extra Thin Corn Tortillas
1/2 cup Old El Paso Traditional Refried Beans
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
1/4 cup Kraft Fat Free Cheddar
2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
3 tablespoons salsa
Cooking spray

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2.  Boil the pork, garlic, seasoning and water over low heat.  After 10 minutes, turn the heat up to medium to reduce the mixture, about 2-3 minutes.  Drain the liquid left in the bottom of the pot. 

3.  Meanwhile, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and lay the tortillas on the pan, giving them a quick spray of cooking spray as well.  Baking tortillas this thin are tricky (see above).  Once you put them in the oven, watch them.  Bake about 5 minutes or until golden and crispy, turning about halfway through.

4.  Heat the refried beans.  A quick two minutes in the microwave with a couple tablespoons of water will give you nice spreadable beans. 

5.  Layer your ingredients: tortillas, beans, pork, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, salsa.


Calories for this decadent, filling mexican meal?  Only 420.

This method would work with boneless skinless chicken breast as well and you'd save around 40 calories.

Sidenote:  I've previously said that I don't like fat free cheese and I typically don't.  It doesn't melt well and can have a funky aftertaste when heated but as a topping for tacos or tostadas, fat free cheese works fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment