11 March 2012

On My Plate - Mustard Chicken

Growing up one of my favorite meals was my mom's baked pork chops.  She'd brown them on the stove and then bake them covered in the simplest sauce, cream of chicken soup with a little mustard added.  So good. 

Today I decided to try that awesome mustard sauce on some chicken.  I added a few of my own touches and ended up with a great dinner.  Along with the chicken, I had Oven Brown Rice made from a recipe I found on www.allrecipes.com, cabbage and cornbread.  A filling comfort meal for under 500 calories.

Mustard Chicken

Servings: 6  Calories: 163  Carbs: 6  Fat: 3 
Protein: 36 Sodium: 336 Fiber: 1

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 oz onion, sliced thin
1 can Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
4 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dice the chicken into bite sized pieces. 

Toss the chicken with the onions, mushrooms and black pepper in a baking dish.

Mix the soup, broth and mustard and pour over the chicken.

Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.

The mustard taste isn't really strong, it's just there to add a little something to the flavor of the sauce without being overpowering.  If you really like mustard, feel free to add more.

As for the Oven Brown Rice, I made a few modifications to the recipe and it turned out to be the best brown rice I've ever had.  I used all reduced sodium chicken broth, garlic powder and eliminated the seasoned salt.  I also baked it covered with foil for about an hour.  I uncovered it and baked it for another 15 minutes or so to get rid of the last of the moisture.  Next time, I may replace some of the broth with water to bring down the sodium content.

No comments:

Post a Comment